I love making yummy meals for my family....especially ones that everyone loves! We have 4 kiddos so it isn't always easy to accomplish that. This casserole was a MAJOR hit! My husband and I had 3 servings right off the bat! The Carbquik is from Walmart and is not the healthiest for us but neither is Bisquick which is what the original recipe calls for. This is not a casserole to eat everyday but if you are wanting a guilty-pleasure food...then this is it! Also, I am all about easy and I think I dirtied up the whole kitchen making this so it wasn't that easy but it was so worth it! Lol! Tell me in the comments how you liked it!
John Wayne Casserole
1 lb lean ground beef
1/3 cup water
1 oz taco seasoning...low sodium
1/3 cup diced yellow onion
20 oz diced tomatoes, drained (any variation) or Rotel for more spicy
12 oz canned corn, drained (this isn't carb friendly so you can leave it out)
Follow instructions on the box for the cheddar biscuits. I omitted the cheese and added about 2 tablespoons of the garlic seasoning that I took a picture of and about 1 teaspoon of garlic salt.
Cream Cheese Layer
7.5 oz Philadelphia whipped chive cream cheese
1/2 cup mayo
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese blend
Optional jalapeno slices
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Heat and crumble ground beef as it cooks and once it is cooked...drain the grease from the pan.
3. Add the water, seasoning, drained tomatoes, and drained corn (optional) and simmer over medium high heat for 4 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low.
5. Mix the Carbquik according to the instructions on the box and add in the garlic seasonings.
6. Spray an 8x10in pan with coconut oil spray and dump the dough mixture in the pan and spread it out evenly.
7. Next, layer the ground beef mixture.
8. Dump the cream cheese mixture together and blend smooth either using a spatula or an electric mixer.
9. Spoon this cream cheese mixture on top of the beef mixture and even it out.
10. Add jalapenos if you want....we added it on one side for us and left the other side without them for the kiddos.
11. Sprinkle the shredded cheese mixture on top.
12. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Different pans cook differently so keep checking it to make sure the biscuit layer is done and crumbly.
I love giving all kinds of low-carb yumminess in my Leaning Low-carb Facebook group which can be accessed here:
"Guilty-Pleasure Eating Without All The Guilt"