If you know me...you know I LOVE the easy button on EVERYTHING...especially when it comes to staying healthy!! Lol! With 4 kiddos and a husband...I don't always have time to make some DIY items to help us stay healthy and that is why I love this recipe because it is literally 2 ingredients plus whichever breathing oils you want to use. Please make sure to use Young Living Essential Oils because their purity is unmatched. It doesn't do any good to make your own items if you have questionable essential oils. YL has their Seed to Seal Standard where there is absolutely no pesticides or chemicals sprayed on the crops and the lands have to be virgin lands. You can check that out here. Seed To Seal
Why would you want to use a natural chest rub anyways...what's wrong with Vick's? Well, let's break this down.
Synthetic Camphor: can cause headaches, nausea, stomach pain, mental confusion, and seizures
Petrolatum: over time can be associated with cancer
Turpentine oil: headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion and rapid pulse; can also irritate the lungs causing coughing and/or shortness of breath.
Fragrance: This is a word that (by law) companies can put on items but there could be hundreds of undisclosed toxins and companies don't need to disclose that.
I'm not sure why these items are added. Instead...I opt in for a more natural solution to my nagging cough and sore throat.
Here are some recipes that I am sure you will love. You can make half of this recipe first to see how you like it. Natural Chest/Cough Rub For AdultsIngredients:
2 tablespoons beeswax
1/2 cup solid coconut oil (or babassu oil)
popsicle stick (optional for stirring)
Young Living Essential Oils (Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Lavender, Tea Tree or Raven or RC)
1. Add 2 tablespoons of beeswax to a heat-safe glass measuring cup or bowl. I personally like to make a double boiler by getting a heat-safe pot or Pyrex and some water in a shallow pan. I do this on the stovetop. Melt the beeswax and stir with a popsicle stick.
2. Add 1/2 cup of coconut oil and melt and stir occasionally until completely liquid and there are no pieces of beeswax left. This normally doesn't take too long.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the following Young Living essential oils
20 drops Peppermint EO
20 drops Eucalyptus EO
15 drops Lemon EO
15 drops Lavender EO
10 drops Tea Tree EO
5. Pour into an airtight glass container (small pint mason jar is perfect) and it makes 4-5oz of chest rub. Do not use plastic as the essential oils could eat the inside of the container. Allow it to completely cool before putting the lid on it...I let it sit overnight. You can also put it in the fridge to speed up this process.
6. Beeswax is hard to clean up so use a paper towel to wipe out the glass bowl/pot first before using soap and water.
7. Apply a thick layer to upper chest, neck, and upper back. You can put some under nose and on feet with socks.
Natural Chest/Cough Rub For Kids Ages 2-5
2 Tbsp beeswax
1/2 cup coconut oil
5 drops Lavender EO
5 drops Frankincense EO
10 drops Cedarwood
5 drops Lemon
5 drops Tea Tree
Natural Chest/Cough Rub For Kids Ages 6-9
2 Tbsp beeswax
1/2 cup coconut oil
10 drops lavender
20 drops Frankincense
20 drops Cedarwood
15 drops Lemon
15 drops Tea Tree
You remember how I said I like easy...right? Our whole family LOVES the Thieves Chest Rub. The ingredients include plant-based camphor (cough suppressant & topical analgesic), menthol (cough suppressant & topical analgesic) and Eucalyptus oil (cough suppressant). A little goes a LONG way. We have had ours for over a year...all you need is a little bit. I love that it is an analgesic so if there is a sore throat...this will help to numb it. Here is a link to grab that if you want or just to check out the products. Once you do, I will send you a Thieves Household Cleaner along with the beautiful spray bottle so you can use it right away. Young Living Product Guide
Every month I focus on different body systems in our Young Living Facebook Page. This is open to everyone wanting to learn more about natural health and wellness. Living Above the Wellness Line Facebook Page
I hope you enjoy this recipe!